[time-nuts] [OT] Help needed with HP 16700A

christopher hoover ch at murgatroid.com
Wed Aug 5 02:13:58 UTC 2009

Peter Loron <peterl at standingwave.org> wrote:
> I have a HP 16700A logic analyzer that I'm trying to troubleshoot. I
> can get access to the console via the serial port, and I can see that
> it boots up normally, except that it fails to start the X server, and
> drops to a login prompt for which I have no credentials.

I "inherited" one of these at HP Labs, but I don't use it much any more.

Yours looks pretty healthy, except for the display issue.   (You are watching it boot up into HP-UX of course.)

This is just a guess, but I'd try it with several different monitors.  It may be that the server doesn't like the VESA DDI/DDC information it is seeing.

You might also try using an XDMCP login.   I vaguely recall that is supposed to work.  But I'm not sure you can get this to work without being able to set it up on the console.

(BTW, I was able to load a more recent software image than what was originally on my 16700A when I inherited it.  I found it on the Agilent site, naturally.   That was five or so years ago.  You might want to check there.)

-ch