[time-nuts] HP 106B quartz frequency standard...the story so far

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Thu Aug 6 14:19:35 UTC 2009

If I recall correctly, the HP quartz oscillator manuals say that you must allow
at least 72 hours of burn in after shipment from the factory, and 72 hours between
frequency adjustments.

Double oven quartz oscillators are dodgy things.  The Sulzer 2.5C and HP 107's that live
in my shop have an interesting characteristic:  They age upward in frequency, and I
make the appropriate adjustments every few days.  But if I break power for even an instant,
the crystals pop down in frequency to about where they were back when they were last
started...  And it takes them months to get back to where they were before the power quit.

-Chuck Harris