[time-nuts] Power Back-up

NeonJohn jgd at neon-john.com
Sun Aug 9 08:25:12 UTC 2009

gsteinba52 at aol.com wrote:
> Weather projections for California this winter are WET, which implies
> local power failures (lasting up to perhaps eight hours).
>
> What do time-nuts do for backup power? I have one of the TAPR TBolt
> systems along with numerous other toys (OCXOs that should probably be
> kept running to avoid retrace errors). Automobile batteries? UPS
> inverter systems?

Two kVA UPS backed by a 24 volt, 600 amp-hour battery bank.  That's good
for almost 24 hours at my current loading.  Because I live in a remote
mountain cabin, I depend on electricity for my well water also.
Therefore before a day passes, the 10kVA generator comes out to power up
the well pump, the water heater, the heat pump and the electric stove.
Nine days is the longest that I've been without power.

I have a wood stove insert for my fireplace for heat, the fan of which
is powered from the UPS.  There is an 80 amp charger for the batteries
that is powered up whenever utility or generator power is available.

For backup to the backup, I can use the 4kVA generator in my motorhome
to run everything except the heat pump.

John

--
John DeArmond