[time-nuts] Power Back-up

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Sun Aug 9 16:59:17 UTC 2009

When considering a battery backup you really have two ways to go:

Battery -->  Inverter -->  Load
Battery ---> Load

The first option is generally easy to implement, but a lot of the battery
capacity goes up as heat in the inverter. As others have pointed out,
inverters are not very efficient or electrically quiet, and they sop up
quite a bit of power w/o any load at all. For this reason, the second
option is better, IMO.

I have persnally opted for the second arrangement, with two marine 12 V
batteries in series and has yet to fail to power my HP 107 and Austron
2100F in the 20+ years I've been running them.

There are even purpose built battery backup supplies available for running
oscillators, receivers, and such. Sadly, the NiCds tend to be bad and are
quite expensive to replace.

If you need something like +/- 15 VDC for some GPS hardware, there are
small, isolating DC/DC converters that will be far less wasteful of
battery capacity than an inverter and AC-> DC supply. You can use diodes
to make an OR circuitto switch automatically between DC supplies when the
line fails.

Best,
-John