[time-nuts] Difference in GPS antennas

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Aug 15 03:03:58 UTC 2009

> My Panasonic VIC100 antenna had a few screws to hold the bottom to the
> plastic cone top.  The bottom had an o-ring seal that stuck a little
> but was still pretty easy to slide the bottom from the top half.
> Inside was a patch antenna on top of a pcb.

Thanks.  I tried again and it came apart easily.  There is an O-ring but no
glue.  (I wonder why I didn't get it the first try.)

The antenna isn't a patch.  (Or I don't recognize it as such.)

It's a cylinder, 2 inches tall, 3/4 inch in dia, sticking up over a 2 inch
square PCB that's screwed into an aluminum base place.

It's made of flexible PCB material wrapped around to make a cylinder.  The
outside bottom 3/4 inch is a plane.  There is an obvious solder joint line
closing the plane.  The inside top has 4 fingers spiraling around at 45
degrees.  The lower inside part (opposite the plane) has some wiggles in some
traces, but I haven't figured out the equivalent circuit.