[time-nuts] How do time-nuts measure phase noise?

iovane at inwind.it iovane at inwind.it
Mon Aug 17 11:51:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 23:18:58 +1200 Bruce Griffiths wrote:

> Steve Rooke wrote:

> >> snip

> 1) Use 3 sources, S1, S2 and X.
>
> 2) Phase lock S1 in quadrature to X using a diode double balanced mixer
> using a low bandwidth PLL.
>
> 3) Phase lock S2 in quadrature to X using a diode double balanced mixer
> using a low bandwidth PLL.
>
> Then for frequencies outside the PLL bandwidth the crosspower spectrum
> of the 2 mixer outputs should be predominantly due to the phase noise X.
>
> In practice its best if the phase noise of the 2 standards S1, S2 isn't
> significantly worse than that of X.
>
> It is also desirable that both S1 and X and S2 and X be locked at their
> respective mixers quadrature point (not necessarily the same as that for
> zero dc output)
>
> Bruce

Bruce,

is this what actually time-nuts do? This is unpractical for me, as I have not much
time for a circuit building project. Moreover, I would be satisfied even with the
analysis at a single frequency, not necessarily the whole phase noise spectrum,
and with relative but repeatable measurements.
So, does it make any sense using a selective voltmeter, such as an HP 3586A or
similar?

Antonio I8IOV