[time-nuts] Obscure terms

brice at weaponeer.com brice at weaponeer.com
Fri Aug 21 03:40:25 UTC 2009

Last night I was looking at weather stations along the Columbia River near Boneville Dam and I came up with this. Been pretty hot up there again.
A "Langley"
a CGS unit of heat transmission equal to one thermochemical calorie per square centimeter, or exactly 41.84 kilojoules per square meter (kJ/m2). Named for the American astronomer Samuel P. Langley (1834-1906), the langley is used to express the rate of solar radiation received by the earth.

Came off the AGRIMET system on the US Bureau of Reclaimation site. Agricultural statistics stuff. Pretty cool stuff.
New to me.

William Rice
Austin Texas