[time-nuts] Atom of time?

Max Robinson max at maxsmusicplace.com
Sat Aug 22 18:19:34 UTC 2009

A recent answer on Jeopardy involved an atom of time.  The clue was "In the
16th century this term described 1/374 of a minute.  It wasn't applied to
matter for another 150 years."  The correct response was " What is an atom?"
My research on Google for "atom of time" turned up nothing relevant to this.
Does anyone know what might have been the origin of this number?  My first
guess was that it was based on gear ratios for the escapement but at
6.2333... atoms per second it seems a little fast for the clocks of that
century.

Regards.

Max.  K 4 O D S.

Email: max at maxsmusicplace.com