[time-nuts] Time security query

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 25 19:28:35 UTC 2009

I had a GPS receiver and a pair of small 315 MHz transmitter and receiver modules that I wanted to fly in a rocket.  I knew the data link was good to around 1/2 mile at 2400 bits/sec.

I wired up the units,  installed them in the rocket payload section,  took it outside,  switched it on,  and never got a GPS lock.  Hmmm...  GPS L1=1575 MHz,  315x5=1575 MHz...  could it be?   A little more testing showed that that little 315 MHz transmitter module would jam every GPS within over a 1/2 mile radius.

And for some strange reason,  that module disappeared from the manufacturers catalog and all their distributors.  It was replaced with a 310 MHz system (and they even denied that they ever built a 315 MHz version).