[time-nuts] Tbolt temperature Control

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 26 20:34:39 UTC 2009

Putting the PID stuff into Lady Heather is no problem (if you write the algorithm).  It would be pretty trivial to drop it into the DOS version.  It would be best if a single control line would either heat or cool (no OFF state).  Even simpler,  keep the fan stirring the air all the time.  Apply heat when needed.

The problem is with the Windows code.  I don't know how to reliably control the modem signals under Windows... perhaps John Miles would know.   Most Windows users use USB-RS232 converters and these are infamous for their flakey control signals.

I think the most reliable way would be a small micro that monitored the TSIP strings from the Tbolt and picked off the message that has the temperature field.  Ideally a Peltier device driven by an H bridge motor controller would control the heating and cooling.

By insulating the Tbolt in a foil covered cardboard box,  you should be able to keep the a/c and heating induced temperature swings under 0.1C.  It is these short term swings that the Tbolt seems most sensitive to.