[time-nuts] OT: Power level reference

Stan, W1LE stanw1le at verizon.net
Tue Dec 1 13:55:57 UTC 2009

Hello Joe,

I haver not gotten overly concerned with measuring power levels.

I do have a pair of HP-432 power meters on the bench and I periodically
do a comparison.
With their sensors they are spec'd for about 1% accuracy.

With a Bird 43 I believe the accuracy is 10% of full scale, a bit coarser.
So, with 10 KW of RF and a 10 KW slug the accuracy is 10KW +/- 1,000 watts.

With directional couplers or power attenuating pads I can go up to about
500W.
The HP-435A/B also have the internal reference source at 50 MHz.

The only reason I have considered upgrading from the HP-432 is to get
a 2 channel power meter and readings available on the HPIB.

Stan, W1LE     Cape Cod      FN41sr