[time-nuts] Chooses for a desktop/server NTP external 1PPSreference

Alexander Sack pisymbol at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 17:10:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Bill Hawkins <bill at iaxs.net> wrote:
> Hah! The business of fleecing audiophiles does not apply to time gear,
> because
> the people who buy such gear almost always know what they need and how it
> works.
>
> The pricing problem comes from the low volume of business for precision time
> machines. That is why many of us choose pre-owned equipment that has been
> written off as obsolete. But there are enough us who will buy to keep the
> price
> from dropping to that of a consumer "atomic, radio controlled" clock.

That's what I figured.  A lot of the reference clock stuff seems more
or less OEM driven for high-end applications.  Take for instance the
Garmin 18x LVC which is distributed as an OEM product (almost harware
Garmin developer kit).

But again, what dictates overall price?  I would assume precision but
then again, what am I looking for with respect to comparing precision
characteristics?  Btw, if there is a man page on this, please free to
RTFM me!  :D

-aps