[time-nuts] Chooses for a desktop/server NTP external 1PPSreference

Stanley Reynolds stanley_reynolds at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 8 17:53:43 UTC 2009

But again, what dictates overall price?  I would assume precision but
then again, what am I looking for with respect to comparing precision
characteristics?  Btw, if there is a man page on this, please free to
RTFM me!  :D

-aps

Intended market and it's volume effects the price most, for example lowest cost to highest cost market, automobile, cellphone towers, land survey ,military.

besides claimed accuracy of pps output, the number of channels/satellites tracked simultaneous, frequencies used ( L1,L2....), type of analysis code/carrier, quality of antenna and its rejection of interference/multipath signals.

This is much like the case of a .01% distortion amplifier connected to the 10% distortion speakers, once you connect any PPS signal accurate to less than 100 nano seconds the milli second to second delays of the network will dominate.

Stanley