[time-nuts] Chooses for a desktop/server NTP external 1PPS reference

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Dec 8 20:46:20 UTC 2009

> WHAT SHOULD I BE LOOKING FOR?

I don't think we can answer that for you.

What do you consider to be fun?  How much money do you want to spend?

> Say I want nanosecond accuracy with respect to the PPS rising edge to
> absolute UTC....I know that for sure.  My target system is FreeBSD ...

There isn't much point in talking nanoseconds if you are going to connect it
up to a computer, especially one running a normal OS.  Things get more
interesting if the system has special hardware.

> Another issue is what governs the price of these units?  I'd like to
> think its not going to be like the audio industry.

I'll split the market into 3 chunks:
  consumer gear, high volume low cost
  telcom:  medium volume
  lab: low volume, expensive

If you want to get started, I'd suggest the GPS-18x and playing with ntpd.