[time-nuts] 5061A questions

wa1zms at att.net wa1zms at att.net
Thu Dec 10 13:45:30 UTC 2009

Morris-

NiCad & NiMh cells should be charged with a constant current source
which is what should be in the charging circuit of the 5061A.

For mine, I bought 4-cell packs of NiCad cells from Jameco here in
the US and wired enough packs in series to get the required number
for my 5061A.

Gell Cell and any other lead-acid battery technology requires a
constant voltage charge so as to not over-charge the cells.  I would
not use them in your 5061A without first modifying the charger
to be a constant voltage type of the correct open circuit terminal voltage.

I have modified my HP105B to use Gell Cells, but I had to play games
with the charging circuit and make a zener diode change, resistor change,
etc....

It can be done, but NiCads are all not that too hard to find at least
here in the US.  But given time, they may go the way of the incandescent
light bulb. You know all about that one! :-)

-Brian, WA1ZMS

From: "Morris Odell" <vilgotch at bigpond.net.au>