[time-nuts] Audio recording with time code

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Fri Dec 11 19:32:43 UTC 2009

>There's also SMPTE LTC (Longitudinal Time Code) which is aimed at
>the audio/visual production business.

Right.  Most of the studio-oriented pc audio tools I know of that do
time coding do SMPTE coding.  I use Sony Acid and SoundForge, and
they will do SMPTE coding.  Note that there are quite a variety of
SMPTE flavors depending on the intended end use -- 24 frame [per
second] movie synch, 25 frame EBU synch, 29.97 frame drop and
non-drop video synch, and 30 frame, which is generally used for
multitrack audio synchronization.

Joe didn't say whether he needs the time code to be absolute (i.e.,
GMT, CST, etc.) or just track-relative.  SMPTE code is generally
track-relative.

I'm not aware that any of the common studio-type applications support
VOX-operated recording, but then I've never really looked.

Best regards,

Charles