[time-nuts] Beginner's time reference

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Sat Dec 12 13:53:47 UTC 2009

mikes at flatsurface.com writes:

At 07:13  AM 12/12/2009, GandalfG8 at aol.com wrote...
>I think you might be missing  the point, the OED definition that you
>quote
>does not define  time itself as an absolute measurable entity, and what
>time
>nuts  measure are, yet again, the intervals between  events.

Define "absolute measurable quantity," and give an example of  something
(not countable, like fingers on a hand) which is.

What  units do you "measure" in? Certainly not most SI units, which vary
by  reference frame (time, length, mass, current, luminous intensity),
and/or  are simple counts (mass effectively, mole) - which leaves
temperature. How  do you measure temperature without using any of the
other SI  units?

How does one "measure," if not by comparison? Is pi measurable?  Can I
measure the circumference of a circle of diameter 1? How?

Or  are you focused on "absolute?" If so, how is time any different than
distance? You measure between the points you want to measure. I can
measure the length of a bar of platinum-iridium, and call that 1 meter,
or I can measure the distance a photon travels in 1/299 792 458 of a
second. Is one somehow less real than the other?
----------------
Only "focussed" on absolute inasmuch as that was what I was referring to in
 the first place and you're still mising the point.

Time, as a "distance" if you wish between two points, is measurable as the
duration of the interval, no problem with that, but whereas your
platinum-iridium bar continues to exist outside of your measurement of its
properties the same cannot be said of any particular interval between  events.
--------------------

>Considering time as a dimension isn't quite so bad but the  point I
>was
>attempting to make, perhaps not very well, was that  many folks choose
>to,  or
>want to, treat time itself as  something that exists in a physical
>form, such
>as a river for  example, and hence, again just by way of example,
>something
>that  we might consider travelling backwards and  forwards along if
>only we
>could find  the right  boat.

Einstein didn't claim time didn't exist - he linked it with  space. Time
and distance are both relative to the frame of reference.  Einstein had
no problem making frequent reference to the speed  (distance/time) of
light. When he said "Time is an illusion," it was in  reference to time
separated from space. That doesn't mean it doesn't  exist, or isn't
physical.
----------
Perhaps I should have been a bit more specific. One quote, which was
actually attributed to Freeman Dyson when discussing the difference in approach
between Poincare and Einstein commented....
"His version of the theory was simpler and more elegant. There was no
absolute space and time and there was no ether"..........

It was only an off the cuff comment anyway so not particularly  relevant to
my argument as such, but please do explain in what  way time itself might
be "physical"
--------------

This is nothing new. The GPS system was designed with the  understanding
that the satellites exist in a different frame of reference  than the
receivers. Yet, it works, because we measure time and  mathematically
adjust for the different reference frames.

Seems to  me you're just being pedantic. It's like claiming Newtonian
physics is  wrong, even though it works perfectly well for 99.99% of
what it's used  for.
----------
Call me pedantic if you wish, but it has nothing at all to do with
claiming that Newtonian physics is wrong, which I'm not, even though that  it can
have its limitations.

I'm sorry you can't, or won't, understand but the ability to measure
intervals between events does not in itself demonstrate the existence of  time as
any kind of physical entity.
If we can only define time in terms of the interval between events then so
be it, but isn't that just where we came in?

Is it possible that flatsurface might be synonymous  with flatearth?:-)

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR