[time-nuts] Audio recording with time code

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Dec 12 16:18:16 UTC 2009

On 12/12/09 5:45 AM, "Henry Vredegoor" <henry.vredegoor at gmail.com> wrote:

> Joseph Gray schreef:
>> My first thought was using IRIG on one of the channels. I could buy a
>> copy of NMEATime to generate the IRIG, but then I don't have anything
>> to decode it on playback.
>>

> I was thinking the same.
>
> Are there (freeware) IRIG-B software decoder/display programs using a
> PC/soundcard?
>
> Henry.

Google is your friend

I think there's one that is part of NTP
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver6.html

http://www.dolben.org/IRIG.php is another

Here's one as a LabView .vi that runs on one of their FPGA cards that may
provide a basis:
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/3396

And, in a message from 2004 on this list, Dean Weiten comments

The "standard" source package for the Network Time Protocol package,
found either at http://www.ntp.org or through download with/for a LINUX
distribution, has a tool in the "utils" directory called "tg", which
stands for "tone generator".  It can generate simple modulated IRIG-B
and WWV(H) time signals on an audio card.  Unfortunately, I found that
it would not compile for X86 - it was apparently written for the
SparcStation, I think.  I've modified it to work with Open Sound System
(a modern LINUX sound system), and added all kinds of IRIG options,
including IEEE 1344 yes/no, daylight savings time, proper second-of-day,
1998 or 2002 format (includes years), etc.  I also tweaked the WWV(H)
format to make it more correct, e.g. skipping the 440 Hz tone on the
29th second, etc.