[time-nuts] Beginner's time reference

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Sat Dec 12 18:36:15 UTC 2009

At 12:41 PM 12/12/2009, Ian Sheffield wrote...
>I can imagine this kind of debate over a soccer/hockey/insert your
>sport here/ team,
>
>but on the nature of time?
>
>unless I am missing some irony?

He's either having a very hard time stating something very obvious (and
behaving as if it's insightful), or incorrectly parroting something he
doesn't understand.

He claims "Time nuts do not and cannot measure time itself because time
as an absolute entity just doesn't exist." That's the same as saying
one can't measure distance, because space doesn't exist. Bollocks.

Alternately, he simply means there is no universal epoch for time, so
just as a spacial coordinate requires a defined reference, so too does
a time measurement. So, there's nothing unique about time, or our
measurement of it, in that regard, and no insight. Since we live in
spacetime, that's entirely expected.

He's refused to define his terms, and can't give an example of
something which _is_ measurable (in units other than spacetime), so he
seems simply to be arguing about angels on pinheads.

Of course spacetime exists. It's where we (and all other energymatter)
live.