[time-nuts] 60Hz mains clocking in computers

Colby Gutierrez-Kraybill colby at astro.berkeley.edu
Sun Dec 13 01:29:17 UTC 2009

I'm trying to get to the bottom of whether or not any computing
equipment made around the advent of UNIX systems (or any time-slicing
system) used the mains cycles of 60Hz as phase lock for the internal
system clock.  My guess is that perhaps they did not as the computing
logic is DC based, but, I have memories of using an 68000 based UNIX
system that I thought had its internal clock based off of the 60Hz
mains...  Not sure the vendor anymore.

Thanks,  Colby