[time-nuts] LAVOIE LA-800D WWV Timebase Receiver

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Mon Dec 21 17:18:58 UTC 2009

Dave,

Googled "Lavoie WWV" and found a manual for $15 at
http://www.classicradiomanuals.com/catalog/news111.htm

Found something I wrote in 2008 in the timenuts archives that said
the WWV carrier intensity modulated the circle. I recall some
limiter stages used to remove signal strength variations. This is
not consistent with a vertical line that varies with strength.
Maybe someone tried to modify the set to do Lissajous patterns.

Isn't email wonderful? Statements are so easily taken out of context.
Can't imagine what that does to tweets. You said, "I was able to
power it up without anything exploding." I instantly thought of a
guy I'd seen at an auction. He got a rare old clock radio used by
motels for wake-up calls. As soon as he got his hands on it, he
took it to an outlet and plugged it in. As luck would have it, it
didn't smoke.

So I applied this worst-case scenario to you because the context
that was missing was that you knew your way around vacuum tube gear.

Bill Hawkins