[time-nuts] GPS chicken tracker (slightly OT but sorta-not-really)

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Dec 23 11:28:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 20:06:41 +1100
Jim Palfreyman <jim77742 at gmail.com> wrote:

> A friend of mine has asked me for a good GPS method to find out where
> his chickens are laying eggs.
>
> A GPS tracker comes to mind but some
> (http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20060405/really-cool-portable-gps-tracker)
>  seem good but expensive.
>
> Does anyone have any cheap (and possibly smaller) alternatives?

I think this is as cheap as you can get.
The company i work for build a gps tracker for piggeon carriers
some time ago. It was quite a lot more expensive than those 250USD.
Ok, this has been a few years back, devices got cheaper and
easier to build. But such trackers to be used on live animals
are still custom or semi-custom designs (mostly because you have
to make sure that you dont hurt the animal in anyway) with
very low volumes (if a production batch reaches 50 devices, we're
already quite happy). Hence they always cost quite a bit.

On the other hand, if you can get a few farmers together i'm quite
sure that it should be possible to get enough volume together to
get the price low enought.

<shameless advertisment>
If you or your friend is interested in a tracker solution
like this. You could contact me offlist and we could see
what can be done.
</shameless advertisment>

			Attila Kinali