[time-nuts] Cheap Rubidium

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Dec 24 19:33:09 UTC 2009

Magnus Danielson wrote:
> Bruce Griffiths wrote:
>> Bob Camp wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> So if I want to set up 4 uncorrelated systems, that would require 20
>>> tons of
>>> water split into 4 tubs. Each tub would be roughly 3' x 4' x 15'. Of
>>> course
>>> if they are all in the same basement, I still have a correlation
>>> problem. My
>>> guess is that no matter what I do, any system that controls all the
>>> systems
>>> the same way will run into correlation.
>>>
>>> Oils, silicon fluids, and the like mostly hold less heat than water
>>> so the
>>> tubs would get bigger. Maybe a few tons of mercury...
>> Try about 145 tons of mercury per rubidium source as the specific
>> heat of mercury is about 1/29 that of water.
>
> This seems exceedingly unhealthy.... 145 tons of mercury in pools in
> the basement. Not that I don't deal with mercury at home, but fairly
> well contained and giving me readings in mm Hg as I go to work or come
> home.
>
> Mineral oil seems more healthy. Not to speak of active systems.
>
> Merry Christmas.
>
> Cheers,
> Magnus

At your location, at present, it wouldnt be a significant problem as
long as the basement was unheated.
Also good ventilation would help, together with a thin layer of oil on
top of the mercury.
The biggest obstacle would be the cost of the Mercury.

Bruce