[time-nuts] Cheap Rubidium (heatpipe cooling for)

Joe Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Fri Dec 25 23:38:04 UTC 2009

At 12:45 AM +0000 12/25/09, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote:

>Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 17:14:38 -0700
>From: Robert Darlington <rdarlington at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Cheap Rubidium (heatpipe cooling for)
>To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
>	<time-nuts at febo.com>
>
>On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Bob Camp <lists at cq.nu> wrote:
>
>>  Hi
>>
>>  A heat pipe might work if the fluid had a sufficiently low boiling point.
>

>The working fluid in a heat pipe will boil at every temperature above its
>melting point.

Well, I've been thinking about this, and I used the term "heat pipe"
too loosely.  Both the one- and two-pipe systems mentioned here have
no wicks, and so technically are two-phase thermosyphons, which
depend on gravity to circulate vapor and condensate.  A true heat
pipe has a wick, and will work in zero gravity.

One gets significant heat transfer by phase change so long as the
vapor pressure in the heat input end is high enough to generate
enough vapor to carry the thermal power flow, and this makes the pipe
isothermal.  However the temperature (although constant along the
pipe) varies with the thermal power flow (in thermal watts) being
carried.

What I'm looking for is related but different:  A device where the
heat transfer capacity varies sharply with temperature, so that there
is a range of heat transfer rates over which the input-end
temperature will be substantially constant.  This is why I envision
the fluid boiling (versus evaporating), which is actually out of the
operating regime of a true heat pipe.

>I tend to use water because it's cheap, but have made them
>with 3M "engineered fluids", Fluorinert, and denatured alcohol.

Fluorinert.  I think that's what the expensive commercial CPU-cooling
heatpipes use.

>I've found
>that ordinary solder works just fine.  A trick to make these things easy to
>build is to use a ball valve at the top (I'm assuming there is a top and
>we're going with gravity return because it's simple).  I've got a few that
>are still under vacuum for several years now in this configuration.  My
>giant heat pipe of doom is a 10 foot stick of 1/2" copper with a ball valve
>at one end and an end cap at the other.  There is perhaps 100ml water in
>there total, and no air.  You can either boil the liquid until it builds up
>a nice head of steam, or go the easy way and pull a vacuum with a pump and
>just close the valve.

I wouldn't have thought that an ordinary ball valve would be tight
enough, allowing the water to escape and the air enter, slowly,
although I suppose one can replace the water if it comes to that.

But I think people want to build this exactly once, so I followed
refrigeration practice.  A properly made hermetically sealed
refrigeration system keeps its working fluid essentially forever.  I
suppose one can use a refrigeration fill valve, say from an
automobile air conditioning system, but these all leak to some degree.

Is the ball valve anything special?

>These things are incredible.  If you pack snow around
>the end of this thing, the other end that is ten feet away gets cold almost
>immediately.  They want to stay isothermal and the heat transfer is at the
>speed of sound through the working fluid.  Delays are introduced because
>you're dealing with a thermal mass of copper pipe that needs to change
>temperature along with the working fluid so it's not quite instant, but
>still about 10,000 times faster heat transfer than copper by itself.  They
>are certainly handy for getting heat out of confined spaces.

What is the purpose of the heatpipe of doom?  Education?