[time-nuts] Timenoob - Cheap and simple 10MHz reference

Eamon Skelton nospam at oceanfree.net
Mon Dec 28 13:15:27 UTC 2009

Giuseppe Marullo wrote:
> Hi all,
> just subscribed, I would like a quick advice on a 10MHz reference for
> calibrating my instruments and for fun. In particular, I would like to
> know if you could give me advice on EFRATOM FRS-A,FRS-C, DATUM LPRO-101,
> Thunderbolt and such.
>
> I would prefer a GPSDO (like the Thunderbolt), but budget is very tight
> (about 100EUR), so I am searching old surplus stuff on Ebay.<snip>

A timing GPS receiver with a built-in 10MHz oscillator would fit
your budget nicely. The Navsync CW12-TIM looks like the obvious
choice. You would need the CW12-TIM module, a 3.3V DC supply and
a suitable aerial/antenna. Power consumption is well below 1W.
It has a 1PPS output with 30ns RMS accuracy and a NCO output
with a default output frequency of 10MHz.
http://www.navsync.com/docs/CW12-TIM_DS.pdf

I paid just over Eur50 for mine last year when the Euro was very
strong against foreign currencies.

--
Linux 2.6.30