[time-nuts] Sending me Lady Heather screen-captures....

Michael Baker mpb45 at clanbaker.org
Tue Dec 29 05:54:36 UTC 2009

Hello, Time-Nuts--

Many thanks to Warren S for sending me over 20
Lady Heather screen-captures showing different
configurations!!  I really appreciate seeing these
and welcome anyone else on the list sending me
their screen captures.  John Miles commented that
individual screenshots may not be very useful without
specifying the timescale, filters, and graphs you're
looking for. This is true, but I am not even sure
what I am looking for,--and some of the filter
configurations mean nothing to me!!  At this stage,
I am like the little boy on the sidewalk looking
into the toy store window and saying, "WOW!!
How COOL!!  Look at that, and that, and that!!"

Now I have some studying to do of the graphs of all
the different filters and configurations-- this will
take me a while as I am not really sure what I am looking
at with some of the graphs.  Thanks again Warren!!

My Thunderbolt sits next to my desktop computer
in the shop and I have made no attempt to thermally
isolate it from ambient temperature excursions
due to routine air-conditioner cycles in the
summer and heat-pump cycles in the winter so I expect
to see some regular variation of the temperature
graph.  I mainly use it's outputs to reference and
lock my spectrum analyzer and frequency counters with.

One mystery is that once or twice daily, the
temperature graph exhibits a sharp, almost perfectly
vertical spike which recovers over a period of a
few minutes.  The temperature cannot possibly change
that rapidly so there is something else going on.

LH often indicates that the blue PPS ADEV and the
red OSC ADEV are both in the high E-13 zone for several
hours and then invariably, both will drop back to the
mid E-12 zone and sometimes stay there for many hours.

Periodically, the violet PPS graph and the green DAC graph
will go off scale for 10-15 minutes and I cannot find
a reason for this-- it does not seem to be either
temperature related or have anything to do with how
strong the signals from the birds are or where the birds
are relative to any tall tree foliage blocking the antenna
sky view.

Mike Baker