[time-nuts] Best test setup?

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Tue Dec 29 22:35:00 UTC 2009

> If both sources drift less than 100ns max (pk to pk) at 10MHz,
> then their
> 10MHz outputs can be used directly to start/stop the 5370B.
>
> Choose a cable length, and a rise/fall trigger so as to measure
> as close to
>  50ns as possible, so the signals can drift up or down from that 50ns
> average.
>
> The advantage is getting many (up to 20 samples per second or
> more) rather
> than just 1 sample per second.
>
> bye,
> Said

I tend to see GPIB errors pretty frequently when I do that, for some reason.
For long-term tests it may be less frustrating to limit the rate to 1 PPS.

Also, you need to measure the actual tau interval when the counter free-runs
like that, which is an extra complication.  It won't be something nice and
round like 100ms or 1s.

-- john, KE5FX