[time-nuts] Thanks for the screen captures and a question...

Michael Baker mpb45 at clanbaker.org
Wed Dec 30 15:30:51 UTC 2009

Hello, Time Nuts--

My thanks to those couple of you who have sent
screen captures of your LH 3.0 beta display to
"eddikate" me.  Any other screen captures pending
will be most welcome.  Part of my quest in this
is to see how others have configured their displays
so as to display the most information but not have
the display so cluttered with overlaid graphs as to
be unreadable. My "computer-fu" is not very strong
and it helps to have other people's examples to
compare to what I see!

My first stumbling attempts to set LH 3.0 beta up
have brought up a couple of questions, one of which
is why, after commanding it to do a 4 hour fix, it
came up with a Lat and Lon reading that is very
much in error?

After the precision fix the Lat/Lon/Alt reads:

Lat 47.xxxxx N     Lon 122.xxxxxx W     Alt -9.xxx  M

However, my actual Florida/USA location is:

Lat 29 N      Lon 82 W     Alt 27m  AMSL.

What am I doing wrong to wind up with this wrong Lat/Lon ??

As for tips for configuring LH 3.0 beta, Mark's
suggestion to set the signal level mask to a low value
(like AMU=1.0) and the satellite elevation mask to a
high value (like 25 degrees) is much appreciated.  My
antenna location (on top of the fireplace chimney
cap 6 feet above the house roof) is surrounded by
tall trees and most of the sky below 20 degrees is
blocked by foliage.

Mike Baker