[time-nuts] Using a Spectrum Analyser for phase noise

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Wed Dec 30 21:45:02 UTC 2009

> A lot of folks have contacted me off line about phase noise measurements.
>
> Good references to start, is the HP applications notes on phase noise at
> http://www.hpmemory.org/news/3048/hp3048_01.htm

Wow, that's awesome... I could make a fortune on eBay if I had that guy's
photography skills.  He's turned an equipment rack into a sex object!

All of the 3048A manuals are online at http://www.hparchive.com under
"Equipment," but IMHO the much shorter PN 11729B-1 at
http://www.ke5fx.com/gpib/5952-8286E.pdf (40MB) makes a better handbook for
general PN measurement with a single-ended phase detector.   The 3048A docs
are massive and highly system-specific, while the 11729 architecture is more
like what you'll end up with if you roll your own quadrature PLL.

-- john, KE5FX