[time-nuts] Lady Heather's Fat Client

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Dec 31 11:46:15 UTC 2009

Steve Rooke wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> 2009/12/31 John Miles <jmiles at pop.net>:
>> You're welcome, thanks for the feedback!  What I told Bob earlier would
>> apply to Linux as well; sockets are sockets for the most part.  Very little
>> beyond the serial-port code would need to change.
>
> So what's it written in, may I ask. Yes, if all the most complex it
> gets in I/O is sockets, it should be easy to port (assuming something
> like C). It could be easily ifdef'd between the two(?) OS's and BSD
> should be a very similar port to Linux if it's just down to sockets.
> What time frame are you looking to port, assuming you are inclined
> that way? Is the source available for perusal?

Sticking to POSIX serial I/O interface should make it work on BSD, Linux
or whatever else UNIX style OS of sufficient recent vintage being used.
Should be a suitable common denominator and cause less hassle to
maintain than #ifdefs for each OS-style available on the planet (which
was the old way of dealing with portability).

Cheers,
Magnus