[time-nuts] Lady Heather's Fat Client

Bob Camp lists at cq.nu
Thu Dec 31 14:37:54 UTC 2009

Hi

I took a look at the server code last night. It is indeed pretty straightforward. It also is commented / documented in a style that makes sense (THANKS!!!!).

Since the server side is pretty much stand alone from the client, I think it makes sense to start there. The client is still in the middle of being worked on, so the server is unlikely to change in the middle of a port. That of course assumes the port is done before the temperature control code is ready to be folded in.

The only issue I see with the server is that there isn't a lot of coding to be done, but there is a lot of compiling and testing on various  platforms needed. I would suggest that one person do the POSIX code and the rest of us look at what happens.

A reasonable set of platforms to try this on (at least for the server):

1) FreeBSD (to get it onto a Soekris box or something like it)
2) OS-X (lots of older Macs running around ....)
3) Several flavors of Linux

I'm set up to try things on 1, 2 and a couple flavors of 3.

So who wants to do what? I'm a better candidate for testing than coding.

If everybody wants to drop by the house later to do the ports, I've got enough for everybody to drink in stock.  I've even got a bottle of Sauterne Magnus ...

Bob