[time-nuts] Antennas, roofs

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Feb 18 00:18:26 UTC 2009

> I really need to put in a feed through to the roof because my Z3801A
> is struggling with an indoor antenna too; but the roof needs to get
> replaced first...

Speaking of antennas and roofs....

Currently, my antennas are inside.  That's good enough most of the time.
It's also good for providing nasty test cases to software.

I also need a new roof.

I'm scheming to poke a hole in the roof so I can get some antennas in a
better position.

If I have more than one antenna, does it matter how near eachother they are
located?

I'm picturing a plastic pipe that sticks up a few feet and a bracket at the
base that has the right magic angle to match the pitch of my roof.  The pipe
would screw or glue into the bracket.  The bracket would get screwed to the
roof over a hole.   The cables would go through the hole and up inside the
pipe.

I haven't worked out the details for the top of the pipe yet.  My (handwave)
straw man is a U turn to keep the rain out, and mount the antennas on the
main pipe.  Maybe a T to get them out to the side.

Do brackets like that exist?  If so, what term or brand do I google for?  I
have a typical not-very-steep sloped roof.  Is there a standard angle?  ...

Plan B would be to stick the pipe through the roof and attach it inside to
the side of a rafter.  I assume the roofers can treat it like a plumbing vent
pipe.

A slightly crazy idea...  Has anybody poked antennas up inside a skylight?
I'm thinking of the setup which has a hole in the ceiling of a room, a box
from that hole through the attic space up to and through the roof, and a
plastic dome on top.  A shelf or bracket on the inside of the box would get
the antennas almost on the outside.

I've seen ads for metal roofs/shingles, the claimed advantage being long life
which is attractive to me.  I assume they would be a disaster for antennas
inside.  What about outside, slightly above the roof?  I'd expect bad things,
but maybe there is some way to turn it into an advantage.