[time-nuts] Weird Lady Heather behavior observed...??

Michael Baker mpb45 at clanbaker.org
Sat Feb 21 07:04:22 UTC 2009

Hello, Time-Nutters--

Is there any possibility that opening and closing the
Lady Heather display inflicts some sort of temporary
disturbance to the T-bolt it is monitoring?

If I run the Lady Heather display on my Dell Dimension 9200
desktop screen and let it run undisturbed for 8 or 10
hours, it tells me that my T-bolt has settled
down nicely; PPS staying within +/- 2ns to 4ns and
Osc never straying outside of roughly +0.01ppb to -0.01ppb.

The PPS OADEV gets down to the 4e-13 category and the
OSC OADEV to around the 3e-13 category.  The green
DAC graph stays well centered within one division over or under
(@ 100uV/div) and the violet PPS graph also stays well
centered within +/- one division (100uV/div).  The yellow
temp line stays centered inside one division.

Everything looks great.... right...??

As long as I do not minimize or close and then re-open the
LH display, this situation will continue for many hours.

HOWEVER-- if I close the LH display and open it back
up shortly thereafter, all my T-bolt running parameters
start fluctuating wildly and going off-scale.  Even the
yellow temp line goes off scale and PPS OADEV and OSC OADEV
both drop back to a high e-12.

It takes about 90 minutes for everything to settle back down,
after which everything runs tightly for many hours until
the next time I minimize or close and re-open the LH display.

If this is just a coincidence, it sure has happened with
consistent regularity over the last week or so since I
first noticed this behavior.

Is this just a coincidence?
Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

I can send anyone a before and after screen capture of what
I am describing.

Mike Baker
WA4HFR
Gainesville (Micanopy) Florida USA