[time-nuts] (OT) Frequency and duration of roll out

Dave Ackrill dave.g0dja at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Feb 22 09:01:36 UTC 2009

> Alternatively, if you unroll the TP by attaching a stone to the end
> and letting it drop over a cliff then you have a really interesting
> physics problem considering the acceleration of gravity, varying
> mass, inertia, and radius of the roll, nonlinear friction in both air
> and roller, etc.

I remember that, when I was a trainee, we (the engineering trainees)
spent some time learning some of the skills that the people that would
be working for us had to master.  One such was jointing 3 phase cables
together.

If you wanted to cheese off the instructor, you went to the roll of thin
cotton tape, hanging on a roll on the wall, and pulled hard.  The weight
of the tape coming off the roll was enough to spin the disk, thus
bringing more tape off, which was heavy enough to spin the roll some
more, so more tape came off, and so on.

Thinking back, I don't remember timing the spin rate, more like nipping
back to our places so as to be able to deny having carried out the act. :-)

Dave (G0DJA)