[time-nuts] good book on the history of calendars?

swingbyte swingbyte at exemail.com.au
Mon Jan 5 12:22:26 UTC 2009

> christopher hoover skrev:
>
>> We have the wonderful Dava Sobel book on longitude and Harrison.   I'm
>> hoping to find something equally as excellent and accessible on calendars.
>>

>> Can anyone recommend a good book on the development of calendars, ideally
>> from Caesar on?

Another book you might like to look into is one in the series of books
about China written by Joeseph Neadham.  He wrote huge volumes about
Chinese technology and inventions with a book about astronomy  and
calenders.  To the ancient Chinese the calender was very important for
the mainly agrarian society and so the emperor in power issued very
precise calenders.  You mat find something on Gutenberg.

Tim