[time-nuts] Common sky pps errors for any GPSDOs?

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 06:59:18 UTC 2009

Hi Matt,

I must admit I don't fully understand your requirements. Are you looking  for
correlation between errors, or absolute UTC accuracy, or short term
jitter/wander?

If you have two systems with self-surveyed antenna positions, you will
likely have 1 - 10 feet of antenna height error in the self survey on the  Motorola
timing receivers (typically).

This position-hold error in itself will give you much more than 140ps  error
(offset, drift, wander) between the units as satellites fade in and  out of
solution, even if the units are sitting right next to each other and are  seeing
the same systemic GPS errors.

For example, let's say both units share the same antenna, and after
auto-survey one reports it's height as 10 feet MSL, the other unit as 15  feet MSL
(M12M's have easily more than 5 feet height error after  self-survey).

So if you now compare the outputs of the units, satellites  directly overhead
could cause a 5 feet, or ~5ns error, while sats at  the horizon will not be
affected by the height error, but rather the long/lat  errors (which are much
smaller).

So unless you have a perfectly surveyed antenna position stored in the two
receivers (to within < 1 foot) you will get GPS systemic errors as well  as
timing errors due to position error - especially due to antenna height  errors.

When we say units typically have 25ns unit-to-unit variation on the 1PPS on
un-calibrated units, then I believe most of this is caused by the auto-survey
position errors of the GPS receiver. One could get much better performance by
 manually entering the exact position-hold position of the antenna, and then
calibrating for antenna cable delay (in 1ns steps).

This seems to yield down to 2ns performance as reported by
Motorola/Synergy/NIST with careful calibration, and using a "proper" GPS timing  antenna with
multipath choke-ring etc.

But again, this requires a perfectly surveyed antenna position, as well as
offset correction due to antenna cable length delay.

There are also antenna cable length variations due to ambient temperature
changes :)

Bruce and others had discussed these errors not too long ago. 140ps error
(or 70ps per GPSDO unit) may be possible on a long antenna cable just  due to
temperature changes on the cable..

Lastly, our units seem to have a residual PLL tracking noise floor  of down
to 1.9ns rms when using a good double oven OCXO as can be seen  on the unit
running in Mexico using a properly surveyed antenna position:

   _http://resco.ucol.mx/Fury/gpsstat.htm_
(http://resco.ucol.mx/Fury/gpsstat.htm)

Getting 140ps matching offset error between two different units'  1PPS
outputs may be tough to achieve.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 1/5/2009 22:04:10 Pacific Standard Time,