[time-nuts] Precise manual survey (was Common sky pps...)

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Wed Jan 7 09:05:20 UTC 2009

Hello Peter,

that's a good question. Some users of our Fury use rented/borrowed survey
equipment (Leica, Javad, etc) to get a very precise position of their antenna,
or they call in a surveyor.

It is also possible to let the receiver do the auto survey multiple  times,
preferably during different times of the day, then manually average the
position fixes, and enter them into our Fury unit as the new position-hold
position. I described this method some time ago. Position error should be  reduced by
this type of averaging.

One could also use the Fury NMEA GPGGA output command to send NMEA position
data to a PC over a long time, say a week or more, then crunch all that data
down to one averaged position fix and manually enter it into the Fury.

And your idea of trial and error is not bad either, but I would think  height
errors of <10 feet, and position errors of less than 5 feet would be
sufficient to try. This requires a good reference to compare against though, and
LOT'S of patience I would think.