[time-nuts] 10 MHz Band-Pass Filter Needed

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Jan 9 06:07:22 UTC 2009

A crystal filter may not be a good choice for phase stability unless an
oven is used.
Some of the older frequency standards used crystal filters within an
oven to cleanup the output signal.

The limited crystal dissipation as may raise the phase noise floor of a
low noise OCXO significantly.
The implementation shown in AN9815 is particularly poor in this respect.

A low Q resonant LC filter using low tempco components will have greater
phase stability.
Whilst obtaining capacitors with relatively low tempcos is relatively
easy, the tempco of most off the shelf inductors is usually unspecified.

The significance of the increased phase instability and /or raised phase
noise floor depends on the application.
If one is multiplying the output to 10GHz then even minor temperature
fluctuations will be a concern.

Bruce