[time-nuts] Sound cards

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Jan 9 21:04:10 UTC 2009

Eric Williams wrote:
> I've been using a Edirol FA-66, a firewire box with two balanced inputs
> plus four more unbalanced.  I think it can handle 192ks/24bit on 4
> channels.  A lot of hams use it for software defined radios, but I just
> know it has better sound, especially the lows, for playing MP3s compared
> to most sound cards and iPods.
>
> Rex wrote:
>
>> I'd be interested to hear what any of the group has to share about
>> relative merits of current sound cards that can be interfaced for
>> measurements like what was being discussed in that earlier thread. (And
>> some before and since.)
>>
>>  From my own point of view, I'd most like to hear about any that are
>> external -- connected by USB or 1394, rather than an internal card. This
>> makes it more portable and easier to move between different PC's.

Like many external Firewire sound boxes it has +48V phantom power
available, which can be something of a hazard for this application
unless all external preamps etc are designed to survive accidental
application of +48V to their outputs.

It also has a relatively low maximum input (+4dBu ~1.2Vrms) making it
perhaps a little less robust than one with a

Bruce