[time-nuts] LPRO-101

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Mon Jan 12 04:50:53 UTC 2009

Glenn Little WB4UIV wrote:
> I have a LPRO-101. Before I power it up, I have been advised to use a heatsink.
> How large of a heatsink do I need?
> I found an extruded heatsink in the junk box.
> This heatsink has fins about 0.50 inches high.
> The width is 2.375 inches wide.
> It is 8.125 inches long.
> I plan to cut this heatsink in half giving me two 4.0 inch pieced.
> I plan to bolt each piece to the bottom of the LPRO-101, using the
> six mounting holes, three per heatsink.
> Would this be sufficient heatsink?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> 73
> Glenn
> WB4UIV

Glenn

The manual recommends a heat sink with a thermal resistance of 2C/watt
or less for ambient temperatures up to 50C.
Your proposed heatsink may be a little small unless you bow it.

Fin orientation is very important for an non blown heatsink.
If you just attach the heatsink to the base with the fins pointing down
the thermal resistance will be increased significantly over the normal
orientation with convection cooling.

Bruce