[time-nuts] Sound cards

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jan 13 23:12:05 UTC 2009

Message-----

Exactly.. I was just down in the lab, and looked at the cables we have strung all over the place, and for us, a 2m cable is positively short.  An awful lot of 5m and 10m cables just patching one thing to another (consider going from a connector on a piece of equipment in one 2m high rack to a connector in another 2m rack.  There's 3-4 m just in going up and down, not to mention the meter or so across, if the racks happen to be side by side.

There ARE fancier cables and connectors in the same family that have more range, but are still pretty cheap components.

The galvanic isolation and EMI immunity IS attractive.  But, a piece of RG-58 sized coax and BNC connectors is awfully common and convenient.