[time-nuts] FTS Datum 1000A-100

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Jan 16 11:20:17 UTC 2009

Another factor to bear in mind is that some of these older OCXOs used
insulating foams that are chemically unstable.
With age these revert to a sticky mess which should be replaced in any
case, to ensure that the thermal insulation is increased to the design
value.
Thus it can be useful to at least partially disassemble such OCXOs to
check for such problems.

A lot of the early conductive foams are similarly unstable and breakdown
over the decades.

However there are a few OCXOs that use beryllium oxide within them,
these are usually labelled as such and no attempt at reverse engineering
should be made.
I have one of these lying around.
Safe disposal of such devices is also problematic.

Bruce