[time-nuts] beryllium oxide

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 16 18:58:39 UTC 2009

I've personally seen three applications of BeO in electronics. Two, including the most common, are a possible hazzard.
The most common application is RF power devices (transistors and terminating resistors). These hace a "washer" or slab of BeO between the semiconductor device and the mounting stud or flange. Asthis is trypically below the electrical connecting leads (often wide strips or tabs), application of excessive force between heatsink and PCB can fracture the BeO causing dust an chips/splinters. Splinters onder the skin or in the eye can cause problems as well as inhaled dust. force can be applied during manufacture / service or in an accident or if the item containing the unit is crushed. Next most common is the use in metal can semiconductors. One example are early LM78Hxx TO3 regulators. These are fairly safe as the can has to be ruptured. The third is as a block of solid BeO bonded to metal plates used to insulate conduction cooled vacuum tubes. Some power tubesmay use it internally. A big problem is that it looks like any other ceramic. In some UK equipment
 devices containing BeO will be marked with "cornflower blue" paint dot. A non-electronic application is in some (eg argon-ion) lasers.
on a side note some vacuum tubes (especially cold cathode types) contain various radioactive materials.

Robert G8RPI.