[time-nuts] Wenzel Oscillator Repair

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Jan 20 21:32:15 UTC 2009

Bruce Griffiths skrev:
> The relatively low thermal conductivity of the steel can will help
> considerably in avoiding thermal damage if the heat is applied to the joint.
> If the can were copper it would be much more difficult to avoid thermal
> damage.

When I needed to have a McCoy oscillator can opened my trusty good old
friend Sten did the usual trick of pre-heating the can and then when
applying heat to the solder the termal difference is lower and hence the
heat-flow away from the joint. Didn't take much time and I think the
oscillator is 100% intact.

Pre-heating and hot air is his main tools to tricky soldering jobs. He
has low fatality rate on problems like that. This is why we let him do
that kind of stuff at work.

Cheers,
Magnus