[time-nuts] ADEV vs. OADEV

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Fri Jan 23 01:44:55 UTC 2009

Yes, it is interesting that SP1065 uses words like:
  "original Allan" (page 2, 3, 14)
  "classic Allan variance" (page 11)
  "normal Allan variance" (page 16)
as a way to distinguish the non- from the overlapping version.
We could throw in "traditional", "simple", "back-to-back", "plain".

I agree with the author (W.Riley) that these days ADEV is
moving towards being interpreted, and more frequently
implemented, as the overlapping variety, but that might take
a generation to sink in.

I mean, even his own Stable32 program calls the default
2-sample variance "Allan" and if you want the overlapped
version you have to click on "Overlapping Allan".

So you see why that Allan tool of mine labels the columns
adev and oadev? At least there's no ambiguity that way.

I should also point out that not all systems can calculate
overlapping Allan statistics. Some realtime analyzers, even
the fancy TSC boxes for example, cannot do full overlapping
(because you need access to the entire data set for that).
So plain adev is not dead yet.

/tvb