[time-nuts] Any experienced HP 2804A thermometer users out there?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sat Jan 24 17:09:51 UTC 2009

David Forbes said the following on 01/24/2009 11:43 AM:

> What aspect of your measurement requires which amazing property of
> the HP temp probe?
>
> As others have said, matching the sensor to the thing to be measured
> is of prime importance. Therefore, using the HP crystal probe on a PC
> board is not an optimal solution.
>
> I had to do PC board temperature monitoring a few years ago, and
> found that I could get very good resolution with the Minco RTD
> sensors that come attached to a small piece of Kapton tape.
>
> http://www.minco.com/products/sensors.aspx?id=37

Dave, thanks for the pointer.  That looks like it might be a good solution.

I don't *need* the HP probe accuracy, but being a time-nut was curious
to see how it might be used since I have one available (and having the
GPIB interface with no voltage-to-temperature conversion required is
also convenient). But something tiny that tapes onto the board is
probably a much better solution in the real world.

Thanks,

John