[time-nuts] Home made GPS disciplined atomic clock

Esa Heikkinen scifiscifi at sci.fi
Sun Jan 25 19:10:57 UTC 2009

> Do not forget the Trimble was never intended to be a frequency standard.

Ok, then it might be a better idea to use only it's 1 PPS output to
count the frequency of the some other oscillator and build own steering
electronics for that. Infact my original plan was to do right that.

If the count/steering period is set long enough there should be any
problem caused the satellite hopping or such things anymore. Let's say
that if I make 24 hours running average for 10 MHz using Trimble's 1 PPS
as a reference to determine the oscillator control then I would get the
better results, right?

But if LPRO is useless, which oscillator should I seek for main output?
With low short therm drift and good phase noise characteristics etc?

Also the goal is to build the reference with surplus (etc) parts as a
hobby project, no interest to invest thousands for that.

--
73s!
Esa