[time-nuts] HP 4352A/B with different signal generator

Matt Ettus boyscout at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 22:42:02 UTC 2009

There's a 4352B on ebay for a $1K start bid, but there's a reserve.
There's a 4352A for $1999 Buy it Now with an "Or Best Offer" option.

In general, this is an absolutely great time to get modern test
equipment at very low cost.  With the economy down, everybody wants to
get rid of inventory.  I just got a like-new R+S SMATE200A (Dual IQ
signal generator up to 6 GHz) for $8K, even though the new price is
still $65K.  I think I could have gotten it for less if I had tried,
since it was right before the end of the year.

On the subject of the alternate sig gen with a 4352, do you need to
just tune it to some frequency offset away from the signal you are
measuring?  Does the offset change during the measurement?  If it
changes during the measurement, some form of automation would be
necessary.

Thanks,
Matt