[time-nuts] FE-150A 5 MHz

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Wed Jul 1 06:17:51 UTC 2009

Back on Jun 11, 2007 I posted a question about an oscillator reference
source I obtained. I didn't get much help then.

It is basically a quality 5 MHz OCXO in a unit that can be locked and
also gives 1 pps.

I've been thinking I should check it out relative to my GPS source and
if it looks good, package it with a power supply.

Last night, I (strangely) had a dream that I should google on this thing
again. This time I leaned more. It is part of a US Navy unit from the
mid 80's to early 90's. The Unit is AN/URQ-23 "Time-Frequency Standard,
Disiplined". The document that describes it is MIL-T-28816.

There are lots of sources for that doc on the web but most want money. I
also found some IEEE papers that reference it, but are typical IEEE
unobtanium for most of us. I did find one place that has MIL-T-28816 for
free:
http://www.tpub.com/content/MIL-SPEC/MIL-T/MIL-T-28816/

Mostly that was great, but the document is a series of jpgs. The pages
with text are fine, but three pages with drawings (6, 7, 8 -- figures
1-3) are not high enough resolution to be helpful. I haven't found a
better source.

I am hoping someone on the list may have better search techniques or
some other access to MIL-T-28816 to help me get legible copies of the
three pages of drawings.

thanks,
-Rex, KK6MK