[time-nuts] Prologix GPIB-USB vs. GPIB-LAN

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jul 5 03:26:07 UTC 2009

> Thus the GPIB-LAN device should work with OS-X whereas the GPIB-USB
> device will need a driver (currently there doesn't appear to be one so
> you would need to roll your own).

I'd be surprised if it takes any driver work.

I have one of the older Prologix units.  It uses one of the FTDI USB to
serial chips.  I doubt if they have changed anything as drastic as this.

I haven't used OS-X.  There are 2 chips that have mostly cornered the market
on USB-to-serial adapters: FTDI and Prolific.  I expect most OSes (and
distributions) include well debugged drivers for both.